Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Decisions

I really don’t like having to make really important decisions. I can. And I do, every day. But I don’t like it. I’m not talking about things like what I should wear or eat. I’m talking more about career decisions, money decisions and the like. And more specifically –

Car decisions.

I got a call from the mechanic yesterday and my car is done. D-O-N-E. There was no accident thankfully, but apparently I drove over something that caused a massive oil leak, and in turn ruined my timing belt and destroyed my engine. It’s not even worth fixing at this point. I’m not sure if this could have come at a better or worse a time.

On the one hand, my job just ended, so I’m not really missing work everyday. I can’t do reliable temp work right now, but at least I don’t have to rent a car everyday to get to work.

On the other hand, my job just ended. I do have some savings, but getting a car will use almost all of it. And I need a car. I can get around my town just fine, and we have excellent mass transit. Around here. Which is not where I work, or where any of my potential jobs and their interviews are. Or Sir for that matter. He’s an hour away. He has no problem coming to me, or picking me up, lovely man that he is, but I can’t expect that from him, and it’s not fair.

And despite being 28 years old, I have never really purchased a car before. All of my cars were either family vehicles, or obtained from someone we knew. And I don’t really know how to go about doing this. Sure, I can go online, research models, makes, types, budget, mileage, etc (which I have). But when it comes to actually going to a dealership, I’m petrified. I am really nervous about being pressured into something, overpaying, or ending up with a lemon.

Sir wants to help me with this, but he really can’t. By the time he’d be able to get here, it’d be at least 6 o' clock. And I work on the weekends (for which I am grateful to have kept the part-time job, even though it was really taxing). I so wish he could help me though. This is one of those times where I wish he could make a decision for me, and he can't. And I just really don’t want to go alone.

I think it would surprise most of my vanilla friends that I am really apprehensive about this. I seem to have the reputation for being a confident, in-your-face, get-shit-done type of gal. Which I’ll try to present at the dealerships, but when I’m uncomfortable or unsure, I get really shy.

I’m going to ask a local friend of mine if he would go with me, and hopefully he will and I can get the ball rolling. Or maybe as in the past, a friend will know someone that is trying to sell their car, and I can take it to my mechanic to check out and do it that way.

I just want to have a plan of action already. Once I have a plan, or a decision, or a decision is made for me, I immediately calm down and just accept it and go with the flow.

5 comments:

  1. Many car dealerships in my area stay open well past six, especially if a salesman knows you're coming in and that there's a potential sale to be had. You may want to call around if having your sir with you is important.

    Girl Deviante

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for this. I've looked online and have about 13 vehicles to potentially check out. I'll check the dealerships hours and if they close too early, maybe I'll try to give them a call. (I feel worried that by asking them to stay late, I'll feel pressured to make a purchase, even though I know I'm not obligated.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. How weird! Master is also having to look for a car with limited cash to drop. It makes me nervous for many of the same reasons you mentioned - buying a used car honestly just scares the hell out of me. Master has bought.. *thinks* 3-4 cars that I know of over his lifetime, all of which were used cars from random people online/in the paper. He's had decent luck with it, but it still makes the paranoid person inside me cringe. We're still looking... *crosses fingers* Good luck to you and I both. lol

    (I have a car, but it was a hand-me-down from my parents, who were the original owners. The idea of buying something without known history is scary to me. <_<)

    ReplyDelete
  4. One piece of advice I can give you is to go into these places knowing to hold your ground. I was looking for a car recently and I can't even describe how pushy some of the people can be. They make money off of a sale and sometimes won't even listen when you tell them you're just coming into look. On the other hand, looking for a new car can be such a fun and exciting experience. Just take your time and don't rush into anything. :) Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've purchased a number of cars over the years, some alone and some with my ex-then-husband. He was such a child about cars, that it was harder with him then without him!
    The most important thing I learned was no matter what, be ready to walk out if the the deal isn't EXACTLY what you want. Don't get guilted, or shamed, or tricked into something you don't want. Ask Master to help you determine some guidelines perhaps.
    The other thing is, speak as little as possible. The salesman will try to engage you, ask you questions, get to know you so he can manipulate you. When he asks a personal question, redirect it, such as, "Where's the best place for a beer around here?" Innocuous enough question, but he's prying. You're response should be, "Let's just talk cars. Thanks." Don't get personal.
    Good luck!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete

I ❤ comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...