Tuesday, September 11, 2012

September 11th

Most people know what today is. I've been going about my normal routine, but I think it would be really selfish of me not to say ANYTHING about today - to post other things online, and act like I've forgotten...

I remember where I was. I was visiting my former high school as an alumnus, and I was in my guidance counselor's office. We were discussing options for me to go to college, as my family is poor, and I tried, but couldn't afford it and had to drop out before I even started. In the middle of our meeting someone comes rushing in, whispers something in his ear and all the color drained from his face. He turned on the TV, and after a few minutes, he got called away and I went home. I got ready for work, but we closed the office because what was happening. I went back home, and continued trying to call my dad obsessively (who works in Manhattan). He's fine, but had to walk through the Lincoln Tunnel to get home in all the chaos. My uncle is a fireman and was one of the first on the scene. He retired after that - it was too much on him.

I think remembering is important. People can be very self centered, and it's vital to take time away and think of others. Do something for someone else, whether it's volunteering, or just a simple gesture at the market.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I ❤ comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...